Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Silver Lining Without My Lining

Sometimes it's easy to get bitter when I have plans that get ruined. I remind myself that life is just kind of like that. Our stay on Earth was never meant to be a vacation, although it can be filled with joy if we let it. We are meant to be challenged and grow from those challenges. We are also meant to seek Heavenly Father (or whatever your personal higher place) and draw near to Him in our times of need, which, really, turns out to be everyday.


Sorry for the tmi, but I continue with intestinal problems (
cholitis). Basically, while on antibiotics, there was a resistant bacterial strain that stayed in my system while the good bacteria were killed off along with the bacteria causing my cellulitis (not cellulite -- wouldn't it be great if there was an antibiotic for THAT) from the yellow jacket sting. This nasty, resistant bacterial strain wreaked havoc on my intestines, causing the lining to shed and bleed, and producing very painful and frequent bathroom trips (I am SO thankful for indoor plumbing).


So, here is the silver lining through all of this: my eating habits are changing. Going to the bathroom has been very uncomfortable, and what goes in must come out. Pain is a great motivator, and I am making sure that what I eat is nutritionally dense and worth the discomfort. I'm chewing longer and eating slower. (The more I chew, the better the absorption of nutrients -- and the easier it is on my war-torn insides). I eat healthier. I get full faster. My desire for fast food and chocolate is gone. I listen to what my body wants.


I pray I continue to listen when I'm all better and may these habits become permanent. This experience has really made me think about all my body has done in spite of the gastrointestinal abuses I've put it through.


I could get bitter about my plans I've had to put on hold, the energy lost, and work I've fallen behind on, but I think I've actually been given a gem-of-a chance to appreciate the health I do have and form practices to improve it.

(Aren't you glad I didn't post pictures?)

(Okay, here's one):

21 comments:

  1. Say, you've given me an idea! I could post the pictures of my colonoscopy to encourage people to have one! Or maybe not.... :)

    I'm sorry you've been feeling so poorly, but equally impressed that you've found a silver lining in all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. Glad to see there is someone else in the world who sees a silver lining in freaking everything. I thought my mom was the only one who cursed me with this trait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's my problem. I keep expecting live to be like a vacation.

    Are you keeping up with the hydrating? Especially important during times like this. (Nag, nag, nag)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Why is it you never see the typo until you press the button? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you are feeling so poorly. I will pray that you are on your road to healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you better health soon! So sorry! On the positive, yes, it gives you a whole new perspective on keeping the bod healthy!

    Be well Gina & thx for your comments at my place!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a perfect picture for your post! The sun rays peaking from behind the black cloud!
    I hope you start feeling better soon. Sounds like you are looking at thngs from the right perspective.
    I know my son's health problems can pop up at the worst times and make us change plans at the last minute. I just have to remember that there is always someone who has it worse than we do. We need the little struggles in life to remind us to pray and ask God for help through it.
    Fast food has got to be the worst for everyone! We stopped eating at fast food 98% of the time and the whole family doesn't miss it (every once in a while we go through a drive thru..like maybe 3 or 4 times a year, no longer 3 or 4 times a week!)
    Feel better, hope the antibiotics do their job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can relate. I take strong medications, and often they do a number on my system. I have found as of late, that so does eating poorly...and anytime I eat something "bad" for me, my stomach lets me know. Sorry to hear about the infection though-yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack! I just read about your wasp sting (it sounds so innocent doesn't it? HA!). I got stung by a red wasp last summer and I cried like the baby I am for a half hour. I CANNOT imagine the sh*t you have had to deal with (really, no pun intended there) - what a bummer! I'm glad you are on the mend though and can blog at least a little bit. I will pray for your quick healing and I will also squash all things sting-y in honor of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my gosh, you guys make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a good organic yogurt with lots of probiotics would be good to eat and repopulate your intestines with good bacteria. There are also probiotic supplements as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Probiotic tabs? Buy them at the health food store? What does your GI doc think?

    My weight loss started with physical problems. So wish that weren't true, but after I nuked my gall bladder, I couldn't eat as much at a sitting or tolerate super cheesy, fatty foods. Still true to some degree.

    So hope you feel better soon! Life keeps throwing these weird curve balls... as my dad says, it's rarely what you worry about, it's some weird thing you couldn't have predicted in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Skye from Skye's the Limit said:

    First of all, I love your title! It's perfect considering your circumstances. Second of all, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. My prayers for you continue! And third, thank you for making me laugh with the cellulite comment!
    ( ;

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yogurt and probiotics has helped a lot as long as I keep taking them at every meal. I wish the Dr.'s had warned me about the antibiotics and suggested probiotics from the get-go to counter-balance the possible side effects. There was no mention. I don't like yogurt, so I don't think to eat it, but I would have had I been warned. It was the receptionist that suggested it when I called to leave a message for the doc. Her son was also stung, developed cellulitis like me, and then was hospitalized. He also developed cholitis. She said it took him a month to get normal, again, with the help of acidophilus. Poor kid. I wonder why doctors don't think about the healing affects of certain foods.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any chronic health issue can be pretty overwhelming. It's so easy to feel sad for ourselves (and normal). Try to remember (like I do) not to bury yourself on a daily basis -- lots of people like to talk and talk and talk about suffering - i know I do. haha
    I hope you are feeling better this week and continue to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gina, I hope you are feeling better soon! That sounds so awful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Gina...I stalked you from The Sassy Pear and wanted to tell you that I was plagued by plantar fasciitis off and on for years, the last time I got it though, I got accupuncture done on it. Worked like a charm, I was running within a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gina--
    Email me qtberryhead at comcast.net
    I totally have someone you could go to (depending on where you are) I also have several other things we could chat about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Gina,

    Hey what's up? Hope you are doing well!! Miss hearing from you!!!

    Continue on your plan ~ Don't give up!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just thought I mention that I don't miss hearing from you at all. Nope, not me. I mean, why would I miss reading a blog written by someone who was fun, intelligent, and charming? Like seriously, woman, do you think I need that kind of competition?

    Nope, not me.

    Though if you could give your GSD an extra treat on my behalf, I would take that as a kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a person who can see the silver lining-even when it comes to intestinal issues! You have a great attitude.

    ReplyDelete