Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Eating for Your Soul - My Intro

Last September, I began attending classes/meetings titled "Eating for Your Soul." I wasn't quite ready for it, but I jumped aboard and am glad I did. This is a program founded by Jarah Christensen; it is her passion as she puts it. It's fairly new, in fact I was part of the guinea-pig group where the workbook was still under construction and paperwork for the "Not for Profit" title was being applied for.


One of the things that struck me was the "not for profit" part. Jarah isn't selling anything -- no prepackaged foods, no vitamins, no membership fees, no clothing lines, no workout videos, etc. This is truly her passion that began with personal family reasons of her own, and it has developed into much more. I'm just happy to be along for the ride.


We abuse our bodies with diets and unrealistic exercise programs. During a meeting, Jarah said one of her ultimate goals is for us to no longer desire to abuse our body.


This is a Ten-Step program with full intent to repeat the steps. In other words (my words), I'm not going to "get it" and be ready to fully apply the steps in ten weeks. These are life-changing, habit-breaking steps. I can go through another set of steps with the support of meetings and facilitators -- for free, although donations are requested to help offset costs to run the program.


I liken "Eating for Your Soul" to the AA and OA 12-Step programs where you meet, share without cross-talk, learn about the next step, and it is donation-based. There are differences, though, and I can point those out as I go along. I've been through O.A. when I lived in Illinois, but I haven't been to meetings since I moved here in Utah.


I want to use blogging as a way to study the material as I share what I am learning. I'll write some of the things that apply to me at the moment or really touches my heart, etc. Her work is copyrighted material, so I hope to not infringe on that at the same time. Not too many people visit my blog, anyway. :) And everyone who does are honest, awesome people, right? Right. I'm sure what I write won't do her program justice. I wish I could take you all to the meetings so you can experience and learn about it yourselves.


Next post: Jarah's intro to "Eating for Your Soul."

3 comments:

  1. I'm awesome and honest. And I've kept that to myself so why not keep this other stuff top secret? I look forward to this info. (Glad to see you here).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This program seems honest. I dabbled with the OA stuff for a bit (it has been amazingly successful for a family friend) but it wasn't for me as I couldn't get my head around the whole "I am powerless over _____" statements. Perhaps I was making excuses for myself. What I did find that finally worked was simply waking up every morning and asking myself... would I rather be a healthy size / weight or have a few minutes of enjoyment with whatever food. And I dedicated myself to exercise. It came down to balance. And like you said - not abusing my body!
    Good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does Jarah need a guinea pig in Oklahoma? Because I would totally volunteer!!

    I'm so glad you found something that speaks to you. I've sort of given up everything right now, but I'm okay with that.

    I look forward to your posts about this program! :)

    ReplyDelete