Thursday, March 1, 2012

Self Portrait 18


Picture taken today.  Stickers were originally
for the kids.  Then I wondered if they'd 
motivate me.  I will admit that they did. :-D


Each day that I exercised, I gave myself a sticker.
I rather like the collection of them.  It's a great
reminder that I made my health a priority.

When I began the self-portrait project at the beginning of the month, it helped kick-start me into action.  I didn't like what I saw in the digital reflections of my life.  I'm not just talking about the weight; I'm talking about the dispirited person buried in the weight -- the person who gave up, felt little hope, and wanted to hide from people.


I saw the stickers and thought, "Twelve weeks -- let me do this for twelve weeks."  And, I began making my workouts a priority along with tracking calories using a free online system.  Why 12 weeks?  Two reasons:  I heard/read that it takes several weeks of consistency to form new habits, and it takes about the same amount of time to see results.  I don't expect to undo all the damage I've done to myself in 12 weeks, I just want to see improvement and not become discouraged after 3 weeks.  It's merely a doable checkpoint.


What keeps you on track?

4 comments:

  1. I love it that you found something that works for you!! I've always heard that it takes 21 days to form a habit - I think that's a bunch of baloney. I recently read that it takes more like 68 days to form a habit, so your 12 week plan is perfect.

    Go, Gina, Go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using Lent (even as a non-practicing Catholic) to track my calories. I'm using my WW 3-month tracker because it's compact and handy, especially since WW didn't really work for me. I have to turn it in each week to my boot camp trainer, so she's keeping me accountable. So far so good (it's only been 2 weeks).

    I like your sticker idea. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I left a comment and it's vanished, but it was something along the lines of "I LOVE STICKERS!"

    ReplyDelete