Saturday, February 25, 2012

Self Portrait 17

Before

After
What's the difference?


The first photo:  the mess really bothered me.  What you don't see are the pile of dishes behind and pile of stuff on the desk to my right.  You also don't see the debris of crumbs, dog fur, candy wrappers, and scraps of my son's duct tape on the floor that should have been swept up by my kids yesterday.

The second photo:  pretty much the same mess but this time it doesn't bother me because in between I had exercised.  I felt relaxed instead of anxious.  I could focus on what needs to be done next instead of angry that it needs to be done at all.

My perspective changed, the mess didn't.

So, yeah, I know I'm not technically in the photo for today's "self" portrait, but self includes perspective as well as flesh and bone.  I have learned that I must to do some sort of exercise to help me with anxiety and depression issues.  The mess and never-ending to-do list have to wait.

4 comments:

  1. I exercise for the control of the anxiety issues as well. The only thing is that you get even more wound up than before if you miss a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post!! The clutter around here REALLY gets on my nerves. Next time I'm about to blow, I'll go do a few minutes on the treadmill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is good! I always feel like everything else needs to be in order before I can take care of myself. I am learning, if I take care of myself first, then I have more energy and DESIRE to take care of others.

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, this post. It's amazing how much differently things look when your head is in a different place. I especially appreciate this post because I too am finding that regular exercise helps tremendously with depression issues.

    ReplyDelete