Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lessons I Learned Today and a Favorite Hymn

Image credit: villageofelmore.com

In keeping with my spiritual fitness journey as well as physical, I'd like to remember little things I learned today in church. This I can apply to my physical journey as well.

This comes from M.R., a 15 or 16 year old boy, our youth speaker for today: We come to forks in the road. There's the right path to take, but it looks rough. Then there's the other path, it looks easy. Sometimes we take the easy way only to discover life becomes much rougher down the road because of our choice. If we choose the right path, even though it looks initially rougher, we can avoid self-made troubles down the road.

-Applying this to physical health, I've been taking the easy way for years: easy "convenient" food, sedentary lifestyle, emotional eating (and emotional drinking before joining the church). The "easy" road has lead to problems...self-inflicted problems. The right way would have been the "rougher" active lifestyle, taking the time to cook healthier, not indulging in bad habits, feeling emotions instead of medicating them. I could then be free to do other things.

The other message is from H.W., our new Relief Society President: When she doesn't feel like praying for whatever reason, she's learned that is the most important time to pray.

The following is one of my favorite hymns. We chose it for our baptism, and Skye asks me to sing it to him each night for bed: Love at Home On the upper left corner select "Words and Music" then play.

May there be love in your home today, and remember to love yourself.

6 comments:

  1. I love that saying about a fork in the road. It reminds me of this quote by Robert Frost, in his poem "The Road Not Taken":

    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
    I took the one less traveled by."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy and applying it to our health is very wise. I'm glad that you had a blessed Sunday. We were blessed by having our 2 year old sit all the way through the service! It was kinda a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AFG- We had that poem on our wall in our first apartment! Good one.

    Diane-That is a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post & I also love the Robert Frost quote too! Looks like you are taking the right path!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post. Glad you had a nice Sunday. We did as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a wonderful week! Hard to believe it's almost Sunday again!

    ReplyDelete